Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Does Anyone Know How to Study?

Do you know what I hate more than anything? Studying. Quizzes, Tests, Exam, you name it. I dread nothing more than studying.  Some of you might be pondering saying, "Hate, that's a strong word. Why do you hate studying?"  Well to answer that question: I hate studying because I am terribly bad at studying.

Even though I do not like studying, I still have to in order to maintain good grades in school. My way to dealing with that is to find the perfect study strategy for my learning style. I am always looking for new study techniques, strategies and skills to help me become better at studying. As a visual and kinesthetic learner, I need to make sure I am using study methods that fall in that direction.


Here is a list of affective way to study :
- Go through all of your notes and high light the main topics on test
- Go through main topics and highlight key details a different color
- Quizlet
- Create test like questions and answer them.
- Watch Videos on topics
- Teach topic to friend, parent or pet.
- Rewrite notes
- Draw diagrams



Let's be honest, students study more in class than in our free time. Teachers should make some class time to study as a class; that way everyone can get their questions asked. There are some fun study methods that teachers and use in class to prepare the class for an upcoming quiz, test or even exam.

Study Idea Number One: Jeopardy

A classic. This is an interactive way for students to study the material for the upcoming test. Each category is a unit from the material on the test. Split the class into teams of 4. Using the rules of normal Jeopardy. After every question is answered, the team with the most points at the end win. This is method can be used in any subject. Teacher can use a variety of different questions. As a future teacher, I would make the questions in my Jeopardy game, the same question I would put on the test.



Study Idea Number Two: Speed Dating
This is a technique my history teacher used. It is my favorite study method. Let me set the scene for you: You are taking US History: 1945- Present. It's the end of the year. The final exam is cumulative.
 *As the teacher*
Step 1: Assign each student a Unit that you discussed throughout the year. They should pick one they are not that familiar with.
Step 2: Tell them to become experts on that Unit.
Step 3: Arrange the class room as so:

Step 4: Tell each student to take a seat. Each person is going to have 3 minutes to tell their "date" everything about their Unit.
Step 5: 6 minutes (3 minutes per person), rotate to the left. Once everyone is back to the where they started the Speed Date Game is done.
Step 7: Everyone has met with everyone. So person 1 what they learned about person 3. so on and so worth.


Sources:
http://www.studygs.net/tstprp1.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment