Monday, April 11, 2016

Whatta Classic

 



" 'Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read." - Mark Twain


According to Ester Lombardi, the definition of a classic novel can be interrupted as :
  • "A classic usually expresses some artistic quality--an expression of life, truth, and beauty."
  • "A classic has a certain universal appeal...because they [incorporate] themes that are [can be] understood by ... a wide range of backgrounds and levels of experience. "
  • "A classic makes connections... this is partly related to the universal appeal of a classic. But, the classic also is informed by the history of ideas and literature...."
  •  


    As an English major, I really hope to one day be an English teacher in High School. As an English teacher, I would want to have my students read the following classics: The Old Man and The Sea, The Great Gatsby, Of Mice and Men, and Catcher in the Rye. When I was in high school, my teachers made a point of how important reading the classics are. I originally was not a fan of reading classics because I didn't find interest in them. However, after reading Catcher in the Rye my freshman year, I realized how interesting and thought provoking they can be.

    There are certain teaching techniques for each of these novels that are interactive, fun, and creative. As a guinea pig for these techniques, and a kinesthetic learner, I knew this would help me understand the text. My favorite novel I read in high school was The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Using creative and hands on activities made it easier to understand the intense drama.





    Technique Number One: Music
    Assignment: Create an Album that goes along with the novel. The songs should describe the characters emotions and actions. The Album must include 8-10 songs; 2 of which must be instrumental only. You must also Design an album cover.

     

    Technique Number Two: Acting

    Assignment: Pick a scene in the novel from the given list. In groups of 2- 4, create a screenplay, which must printed and handed in 3 days before presentation. Everyone must have a role. Additionally, the scene will presented in class. It must be a minimum of 3 minutes and a maximum of 5 minutes (Note: I will be keeping time).Groups will be given extra points for creativity (costumes, music, props, etc.).


    Technique Number Three: Photographs
    Assignment: After creating a brainstorm about characteristics of each character, pick your favorite character. You must create a photograph of that character. (For example, If I chose Daisy Buchcanan, I would dress up in 20's attire  and take a photograph. I would edit the photo to make it look like it was taken in the 20's.)You may work individually or in groups of 2.





    Technique Number Four: Movie Poster

    Assignment: The classic novel is becoming a movie! the Director put you in charge of creating a unique and eye catching poster for the novel. The poster must include a promo line, the actor and actresses names, the title, and the release date. 



     





    Source:
    http://teaching.uncc.edu/learning-resources/articles-books/best-practice/instructional-methods/150-teaching-methods

    http://classiclit.about.com/od/forbeginners/a/aa_whatisclass.htm





     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment