Sunday, May 8, 2016

To Be or Not to Be..

"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages." - William Shakespeare
 


Throughout middle and high school it is important to be apart of some extra curricular. There are a lot of options to consider: sports, art, music, yoga, clubs, and theatre. It has been proven that participating in an extra curricular has kept students more well rounded. Participating in something they are interested in introduces them to new people who may have similar interest. One extraordinary and unique extra curricular that everyone should try in their life time is theatre. Theatre is unlike any other activity in so many ways.


I started getting into the performing arts when I started watching popular TV show Glee. I wanted my high school to be more okay with mixing sports, music and acting. When I was in high school, I was categorized as an athlete. I was a pretty good athlete but I definitely didn't want to limit myself (like everyone else) to just being one thing in high school.

 So my junior year, I decided to try out for the school play. I was nervous as hell being outside my element; however, I got a perfect small role for my first show. It got me hooked. After that, I couldn't get enough. I participated in another play the fall of my senior year. In the spring of my senior year, I ended up getting a led the musical Bye Bye Birdie.

There is this feeling one gets when being on stage. The light floods the stage blinding you; you see nothing but light. While on stage, fully embrace the character you are playing. One must act, think and feel the way the character is. Being on stage is the most extra ordinary feeling.

Fun Facts about Theatre:
  • Students involved in drama performance tend to outscored non-arts students on the SAT by an average of 65 points in the verbal component...
  • Drama activities tend to improve reading comprehension, and both verbal/non-verbal communication skills.
  • Drama helps to improve school attendance and reduce high school dropout rates.
  • A 2005 Harris Poll revealed that 93% of the public believes that arts, including theatre, are vital to a well-rounded education.
  • Drama can improve skills and academic performance in children and youth with learning disabilities.


  • Additionally, theatre is very beneficial for children and teenagers. It helps them with many different types of skills such as: motor skills, language development, decision making, visual learning, inventiveness, culture awareness, and improved academic performance.  This video shows how theatre can change lives:




    Theatre is proven to be important for the development of teenagers. Additionally, is unique and draws in people who are extraordinary. Theatre will always be an important aspect in development. There are plenty of reason why theatre will always be important: Self Knowledge, Self Expression, Self Empowerment, Education, Creativity, Globalization, and Social Change.


    Sources:
    http://www.tcgcircle.org/2014/06/the-top-ten-reasons-why-theatre-is-still-important-in-the-twenty-first-century/
    http://www.aate.com/?page=effects
    http://www.pbs.org/parents/education/music-arts/the-importance-of-art-in-child-development/

    No comments:

    Post a Comment