Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Being A Teacher

 
When I think of my future job, I see myself working with teenagers. Teenagers who's minds are open, always thinking, and still developing. Most people tell me I am nuts for wanting to teach middle and high school students. There is just something about them that I can't get enough of.  Getting an opportunity to shape and model these precious minds to me is such a blessing. I don't see a group of annoying, attention seeking kids; I see a group kids who want to be heard and want to learn. Nothing is more rewarding than possibly becoming their role model.
 
I started working with middle school kids when I was seventeen. I worked at an outdoor adventure camp as a lifeguard and activity instructor. It was awkward and uncomfortable at first working with kids who not that much younger than me. It was the first time I was in position of control and power.What helped me the most with working with the teenagers was creating a connection with them.
 
 Having that connection with the kids made the job much more enjoyable. The kids grew to respect me and see me not as just a figurehead but a friend.
As a student, nothing was more important to me than creating a connection with my teacher. Once a connection is established, I felt invincible. I felt secure and safe in my class when we had class discussions. So as a soon to be teacher, I would want make connections with my students. Someone to push and motivate them .   
 
Here are some helpful tips for working with middle school teens:
1. build a trusting relationship
2. be a good listener
3. get on their level - learn about the things that they feel are important
4. constructive feedback and always from a position of being helpful
5.Fitting in is one of their top priorities- doesn't mean that you tolerate bad choices or "unexpected" behaviors. It means that if you need to have a discussion with a student, it should be private
6.Get them involved or give responsibilities
7.Have a sense of humor
 
 
 
Starting teaching can be nerve-racking. You walk into your own classroom. All the kid are staring at you. You are in charge. Moment of truth; you have to educate them. However, don't stress. Every teacher at one point felt like they were going to be unsuccessful or fail. Everyday in class you will learn more and more. Trial and Error. Here is a video to give helpful tips when teaching on your first day:
                                        
Teaching is one of those careers that make you feel empowered. You are modeling these kids lives. Their brains. Education is one of the thing we can control and make it enjoyable for teens. I can't wait to be a teacher with my own class.
 
 
 
Source:

No comments:

Post a Comment