Monday, March 21, 2016

Language Based Learning Disabilities

What is a Language Based Learning Disability (LBLD)?
 

"Language-based learning disability (LBLD) refers to a spectrum of difficulties related to the understanding and use of spoken and written language. LBLD is a common cause of students’ academic struggles because weak language skills impede comprehension and communication, which are the basis for most school activity. LBLD can manifest as a wide variety of language difficulties with different levels of severity. One student may have difficulty sounding out words for reading or spelling, but no difficulty with oral expression or listening comprehension. Another may struggle with all three." - Landmark School Outreach Program

 
 
 
My Story:
 

I was diagnosed with dyslexia, a language based learning disability, when I was in third grade. When I was first diagnosed, I was very upset because I didn't want to be dyslexic. Being dyslexic made me feel stupid and dumb; especially when I compared myself to my classmates. After multiple tests and evaluations, my parents enrolled me into Landmark School, one of the best schools language based learning disability.
 
 I attended Landmark for nine years. Throughout my years at Landmark, I worked diligently on my reading and writing, which was my weakness. Each teacher I had understood my style of learning; I am a visual and kinesthetic learn (Ill get into that a little later). I needed to see or act what I was reading. Additionally, I never liked reading; I had the most difficult time with comprehension and analysis. Teachers at landmark helped understand what tools I needed to use in order to like reading. The curriculum of the literature department, made we grow to love reading and writing. Landmark gave me all the tools I need to be successful not only at academics but life. Landmark got me happy to be who I am, which is dyslexic. I owe all my educational confidence and success to them.
 
Here is an example of How I would see the work "teapot":
 


 
There are three different learning styles: Visual, Auditory, and Kinesthetic. Visual learners learn best by seeing pictures, videos, diagrams, maps etc. Auditory learners learn best by listening to audio tapes, verbal directions or lectures. Kinesthetic learners need to touch, feel and move in order to learn. For example, if student read a chapter for homework, the teacher could have their student act out what happened in the chapter. Acting would a chapter would be both beneficial to kinesthetic and visual learners. Teachers could benefit the auditory learner by having them use an audio book.
 




Students with an LBLD need to learn how they learn best. It is important that teachers know how to introduce the correct tool to help a specific learner. Teachers need tips and strategies on how to teach and work with these unique individual learners.


Audio Learners
Visual Learners
Kinesthetic Learners
  1. Repeat directions 
  2. Read Aloud
  3. Record Lectures
  4. Conversation
  1. Use Graphs, Pictures and Charts
  2. Highlight Main Facts
  3. Use Videos
  1. Acting
  2. Frequent Break
  3. Build or Create Image 

 


  
 
 
 
Sources:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment